About DC Green Bank
DC Green Bank is a new independent agency, established by the Green Finance Authority Establishment Act of 2018 to leverage public capital to accelerate private sector investments that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and advance the District of Columbia’s ambitious sustainability and resiliency goals. Using limited public funding and bonding authority, DC Green Bank will attract private sector funding. Through its financing offerings, the organization will enable private capital to fill gaps by reducing real and perceived risk, absorbing transaction costs, and providing private investors the chance to learn about new market opportunities with the security of government partnership. An institutional goal is to accelerate the deployment of low-carbon technologies by mitigating upfront costs, leveraging private investment, and increasing the catalytic impact of public dollars.
DC Green Bank seeks a Controller to help launch this cutting-edge, mission-driven organization. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and also as an employee of the District’s Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO), the Controller is responsible for managing the finance and accounting functions of the organization, including the budgeting process. The Controller will not only provide critical technical accounting expertise to DC Green Bank during the start-up phase, but also ensure the financial foundation established can support the long-term growth and financial health of this high-impact organization.
- Oversee accounting activities of the organization, including billing, financial reporting, general ledger, cost accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, tax compliance, and procurement.
- Develop and maintain a system of accounts, ledgers, and fiscal records for accounting activities.
- Develop the organization’s internal control framework, in collaboration with the CEO, OCFO, and leadership team, and ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Analyze and interpret accounting information and regularly present financial reports to the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Oversee financial close process, including preparation of journal entries, additional supporting schedules, and key account analysis and reconciliations.
- Manage filing of all tax returns and other statutory filings.
- Develop the organization’s risk management framework, in coordination with the CEO and leadership team.
- Coordinate with external auditors and oversee the annual external audit process.
- Manage DC Green Bank’s cash flow forecasting to meet operating needs.
- Prepare all financial statements and reports.
- Evaluate and implement the financial system for DC Green Bank.
- Oversee annual budgeting process, in coordination with the CEO and leadership team.
- Advise the CEO and leadership team on financial strategies for the organization.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate has served previously in a similar role at an accounting firm, start-up, and/or government or quasi-government organization. You are committed to integrity and transparency. You are excited about implementing new systems and processes and enjoy tracking and measuring performance. You hold yourself and others accountable to due dates and deadlines. You make sound decisions and are able to clearly communicate your positions and recommendations to other people. You can juggle multiple projects and quickly adapt to new information and unexpected or ambiguous circumstances. You are highly organized and detail oriented. You are willing to take on additional responsibilities to fill in the needs of DC Green Bank. You are committed to tackling climate change issues at a local level for global impact and you will strive to bring an entrepreneurial and creative spirit to DC Green Bank.
- BA or BS degree in Accounting or Finance. MA, MS or MBA degree preferred
- Certified Public Accountant
- Minimum of 8 years of experience with accounting and financial reporting
- Knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles
- Ability to build relationships and communicate across departments and with external consultants and vendors
- Ability to handle and maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to the mission of the DC Green Bank Position Details
- Status: Full-time
- Location: Remote during DC’s stay-at-home order; Washington, DC required when stay-at-home order is lifted
- Salary and Benefits commensurate with experience
Interested applicants should submit (1) a detailed cover letter expressing their interest and fit for the position, and (2) a CV/resume clearly outlining experience, abilities, and qualifications satisfying the needs of the organization. Please list the position in the subject of the email.
Application materials should be sent to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.